Monday, January 13, 2014

Banana Cream Pie

David's favorite pie has been and always will be, the Banana Cream Pie. Early on in our marriage I made one from scratch. I used under ripe banana's and my custard making skills were mediocre at best. So for the past few years I've resorted to graham cracker crusts and boxed pudding. Effective but not good eats. (Bonus points if you get that!)

So when I gave David the "Pie of the Month" club this year. It really was a win win for both of us. He get's his favorite dessert, pie, and I get to hone my baking skills. And I get pie.
This one was a winner! I did a very thin crust and a recipe I found on Pinterest. It was a success! I mean, I'm not a banana pie connoisseur but David is and he's requested this one from here on out for his banana cream pie!

Here's the recipe below so you too can make the best banana cream pie ever!

1 blind baked 9-inch crust
3/4 c sugar
3 T. Cornstarch
1 T. All purpose flour
A dash salt
1 1/2 c whole milk
1 1/2 c half and half
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T. butter
4 banana's, barely ripe, quite firm with no brown spots on the skin but no green either
1 1/2 c heavy cream
2-3 T powdered sugar

Have a clean bowl near the store.

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Whisk in the milk and half and half. Whisk in the egg yolks, on e at a time.

Cook the custard, whisking steadily, until it thickens and begins to boil. Take care to whisk the sides and the bottom of the pan to prevent lumps of custard from forming. Once it boils, cook the custard two or three minutes more, whisking constantly. Take the custard off the heat.

Add the vanilla extract and butter. Stir until combined. pour the custard into the bowl and lightly press a sheet of plastic wrap onto the surface. Chill fully, until the custard is thick enough to hold its shape when the pie is sliced. This can take 4-8 hours.

When you are ready to assemble, slice two of the banana's and spread them in the bottom of the crust. Spoon half the custard over them. Slice the other two bananas and cover them with the rest of the custard. Make sure all the bananas are fully covered.

Whip the cream and add the powdered sugar until stiff. Add some vanilla if you desire. Spoon or pipe it over the top of the pie.

Chill until serving.

No comments: